In 1816 Salzburg was finally incorporated into Austria


On 1 May 1816 Salzburg again became part of Austria; the Bavarian coat of arms was removed from the Residenz and replaced by the Austrian double-headed eagle. The Land, now reduced by half, was degraded to the level of fifth district of the Austrian archduchy on the Enns - the Rupertigau became Bavarian, Brixen and the Ziller Valley were incorporated into Tyrol. Linz was the capital, Salzburg a district capital. The economic decline of the Land at that time was also clearly reflected in a fall in population, as the city of Salzburg numbered only about 8,000 inhabitants. From this time the laws of the Austrian monarchy were applicable. It was not until the year of revolutions in 1848 that Salzburg’s situation underwent a fundamental change. On 1 January 1850, Salzburg became a crown land of the monarchy and was awarded the right to have its own administration. But it was not until 1861, after regional assembly elections that an independent government could take up office.

After the Mozart monument was erected in 1842, to commemorate Salzburg’s most famous son, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756 to 1791), tourism was consciously encouraged. The building of the railway from 1860 (Salzburg-Munich, in 1875 Salzburg-Bischofshofen-Wörgl, in 1908 the Tauern railway to Gastein) brought about a great boost to the economy. However, the continuous upswing came to an end in 1914, at the outbreak of the First World War. Among the 49,000 Salzburgers who were mobilised, 6,000 were killed in the war and many were taken prisoner. After the collapse of the economic region of the Austro- Hungarian monarchy, the provision of supplies for the population became an almost insurmountable problem.

Salzburger Festung